I think humans do have an advantage that aliens do not have.
- humans have a (somewhat) effective nade, which can be used in a kamikaze style
- human blaster and rifle can whittle down structures from a distance and take no damage
- alien dretch cannot do damage to turrets very well without taking excessive damage
- aliens have very few units that can whittle down human structures
The only aliens you can sort of use to whittle down an alien base would be:
- advanced marauder, and it still takes some damage and its spark takes awhile to do damage to groups of turrets, while the marauder still takes damage
- advanced dragoon, its barbs take a long time to refill, it makes more sense just to pick off lone humans or lone turrets
- arguably the spitfire can harass buildings but is pretty weak
- one could argue the advanced basilisk could do damage to base structures, but upon de-cloking it will get killed pretty fast by rets
Humans can whittle down tubes and other structures from a distance with blaster and rifle. Humans can run in in groups with nades and or lucy cannons and absolutely decimate an OM. Even if they die in the process they can do massive damage. Humans frequently do run in packs on suicide missions to wreck the alien base. Aliens do not have the same ability to effectively harass the human base without loosing many evos in the process.
In short I think we will want a well done kamikaze alien, one that is balanced. The kamikaze alien does not have to be super powerful. A kamikaze alien does not have to totally wreck the base either.
One example would be an acidic gel ball bug:
- The ball bug could cost about 4 evos
- The ball bug detonation area has a wide area of effect
- Acidic gel blobs spew out in every direction temporarily slowing structures and units that are hit by it or walk through it. (perhaps five to ten seconds)
- The acidic gel could do about 100 damage slowly over the ten seconds. Humans with armor or medkits should survive it easily.
- Structure repair would reduce the acids damage as its slowly healing during the damage process.
- The key advantage for the aliens is that the structures heal back a little less each time, and the humans cant immediately assault because they need to defend, heal, repair, and wait the five or ten seconds for full mobility.
- Blobs of acid would mostly effect the feet, so damage modifier favors humans.
This is a rough concept, the damage amount could be adjusted, as could the secondary movement reduction.